Finnish language and culture studies for immigrants
Finnish language and culture studies follow the principles of liberal adult education’s integration training for immigrants. The goal of the studies is to advance student’s finnish language skills and develop the needed readiness in finnish society and working life as well as support student’s employment or transition to further education. Additionally, the goal is to create and increase students wellbeing, equal position in society and participation during the training.
The training lasts one year and is free of charge for students.
The training starts fall 2023.
How to apply to study
- if your departure- / home country is Ukraine, make an application for temporary protection with public authority
- register as an unemployed job seeker at Public employment and business services (TE-toimisto)
- ask Public employment and business services (TE-toimisto) for the possibility that an integration plan will be made for you
- ask Public employment and business services (TE-toimisto) for an agreement to take part in Peräpohjolan Opisto’s liberal adult education’s integration training as a part of your integration plan
- after these steps, apply for a place of study at Peräpohjolan Opisto
We will contact applicants at the latest in August 2023.
Liberal adult education’s integration training
The training consists of language and communication skills, society and working life skills, student supporting guidance as well as support for studying and learning. During the training, student’s previously acquired knowledge will be recognised and a further plan will be made for employment or further studies. The training includes language supported on-the-job learning.
Language and communication skills
Listening (oral receiving) B1.1
Reading comprehension (written receiving) A2.2
Speaking (oral production) B1.1
Writing (written production) A2.1
Society and working life skills
Basic structures of society and country knowledge 5 credits
Basic services in society 3 credits
Profession and education knowledge 4 credits
Working life knowledge 4 credits
Hygiene proficiency certificate
Preparing for the national certificate of language proficiency
Curriculum of Peräpohjolan Opisto’s liberal adult education’s integration training (in Finnish) ePerusteet
An immigrant, including a person who is in need of temporary protection, who has
- Basic study readiness
- technical reading and writing skills with Latin alphabet
- experience of studying some foreign language
- readiness for studying independently and unprompted
- a vocational or higher education from departure country
- wants to become employed
- has an integration plan including an agreement to take part in Peräpohjolan Opisto’s liberal adult education’s integration training as a volyntary education
Contact teaching is organised at Peräpohjolan Opisto in Tornio. The student gets support for studying and internship in their town.
For students living in Kemi, there is a transport organised for contact teaching days if the student needs it.